Saturday, October 25, 2008

Obasan - Joy Kogawa

I picked this book up from the used book store, the guy working there thought I was buying for school because it is a popular book used in Canadian schools so it's easily already been read. It's a short novel and an easy read. The story is about a Japanese Canadian family and their experiences in Canada during the second world war. The story is told from the point of view of the daughter and weaves through present and past experiences to explore the story of the family I believe it is historically accurate as well. One thing I really liked about this book was the style of writing, in so many ways it feels like poetry. The way she describes things is beautiful, this is a sentence that I loved as soon as I read it:

"The laughter in my arms is quiet as the moon, quiet as snow falling, quiet as the white light from the from the stars." (p 170)

Anyways, the book is a nice read. If you are interested let me know and I'll mail it to you.

1 comment: