Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

I'm sure this is a well-read book, especially with the movie coming out (already out?), but I thought I'd post it anyway, feel free to give your own thoughts!

The story of two Afghan boys of different backgrounds growing up as best friends in the same household. Amir's father is a respected and wealthy businessman and Hassan's father is his servant. Growing up under his father's shadow, Amir's confusion and hurt from his father's ambivalence towards him is acted out through his sometimes less-than-fair treatment of his fiercely loyal friend, Hassan, and ultimately leads to the demise of their relationship. Years later, Amir is compelled to return to his homeland to make amends with his past and to at last redeem himself and his loyalty to Hassan. Backdropped by the events in Afghanistan over the past 30 years which transformed the country to a place of turmoil and violence, the novel offers a vivid portrayal of what has become the way of life in Afghanistan. However the political and historical events are not discussed in great detail, leaving the reader compelled to learn more. Although the book's pace may be somewhat slow at first, the reader is rewarded with a twisting plot and a tale that is ultimately dramatic, emotional, tragic, and beautiful.

2 comments:

Supermike said...

I saw the movie adaptation of this and was blown away. I can only imagine what the book was like.

jennyjen said...

yeah, I don't believe I've seen it yet, I'm wondering how it will compare to the book!