Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hypocrite in a pouffy white dress - by Susan Jane Gilman

This is one I fall back on a lot, it always puts me in a good mood and I recommend it whenever I can.
"Based on the belief that there's more to women's lives than just getting a date, Gilman's stories tell of struggling to get a life and a clue - and engaging in some spectacularly demented behaviour along the way. Gilman's memoir is so engaging it reads like the very best fiction. At turns heartbreaking, insightful, and screamingly funny, it uniquely chronicles a generation - and heralds a talented writer of note."
Gilman's writing style is fantastic, her stories are hilarious, and I think it's impossible not to identify a little bit with her awkward stories of trying to fit in.

1 comment:

jennyjen said...

just finished it- great book! some hilarious moments and plenty of experiences to relate too... Although it did bring back some embarrassing memories from the not-distant-enough past that I would have preferred to forget about for at least another ten years!