Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Atmospheric Disturbances: A Novel - Rivka Galchen

I definitely recommend this book, it was just so good! It is one of those rare books that brings such originality to the idea of what a novel should be that it made for a fresh and pleasurable read.

The middle-aged psychiatrist protagonist believes his wife has disappeared, and has been replaced by... a doppelganger. Conspiracies with dogs, doppelgangers, weather, and wacky mix of science and literature and psychology ensue, right up to this book's final confusion, I mean conclusion.

Creative, smart, funny, eccentric, complicated- sound like the perfect date? I can tell you I certainly enjoyed taking this one to bed for 3 nights in a row.

However, I'd be interested to hear what other people think of it, as a lot of reviewers on amazon really didn't like this book.

3 comments:

tacha said...

The mention of 'doppleganger' hooked me...I've requested a hold & should have it this week, I'll let you know how it goes:)

jennyjen said...

I want to know what you think, while I was reading this, I really thought you would like this book!

tacha said...

Thought I should update the blog, even though I've discussed the book with Jenn....I wasn't really a fan, I found the writing style to be way too difficult to handle.