Thursday, September 3, 2009

About A Boy by Nick Hornby

Picked up this book because I loved the movie version of it (it's for sure on my top ten- heh heh, that's a little High Fidelity reference though, we'll get to that later) and figured all that wit had to be based on something. I didn't like the writing style at first, but persevered because of my good faith in the movie, and it didn't take long to adjust to the Hornby's writing style and really get into it. I loved it- I loved the writing style, the humour, the story, and the themes- relationships and community and family. Such a good read. Quick and sharp. I won't bother getting into the plot. If you've seen the movie, you already know. If you haven't seen the movie... maybe you should.

This is one rare case where I thought that the movie was as good as the book- in some ways better, because all of the ideas from the book are condensed and crystallized and so perhaps pack a bit more punch. But on the other hand, it was really enjoyable to have all of those ideas elaborated upon on the page and I certainly didn't mind those extra pages of great reading. As quick a read as it is, it gave a great satisfaction upon finishing- everything about it was just right I'd say.

No comments: